Thursday, May 19, 2011

Solids challenge

Last month at Portland Modern Quilt Guild, we swapped quilt blocks made using all solid fabrics. This is the one I received from Anne.


I love the bold colors and the graphic quality of all the black outlines.

Our challenge was to make either a pillow cover or mini-quilt using only additional solid fabrics. After chatting with Anne, she seemed to have a preference for a mini-quilt.

Well, this block is lovely, but it is definitely a departure from my usual style so I really had to let this one simmer for awhile before I came up with anything I felt really worked with the original block. Most of my initial ideas were over-complicated and I'm glad I waited until I came up with something I really felt works with Anne's block.

I hope she likes it!

It seems so simple, but I like that it all really looks like one project and not like I forced my own particular style onto the block. The curved shape at the top was fun too and I will definitely experiment more with curved bindings.

I must say, after seeing the other blocks brought to the swap, I am constantly impressed by the variety that can be produced using only solids. In fact, I'm planning an entire quilt using just solids so that I can experiment more. Plus it gives me a great excuse to go all crazy in the kona section of my local fabric store!

3 comments:

  1. I love what you did to this top and bottom, the colours really lift the whole thing even higher and the curved top is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think she'll like it. I think she'll love it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's great! So bold and colorful! Can you guys get together and do a tutorial so I can make one too? :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!