Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Custom tag tutorial

Okay, finally! Here's a tutorial for how to make your own custom tags/labels.


These are a really fun and easy way to add some (more) personality to your projects.

First gather your supplies. I use twill tape for most of my tags but you can use regular cotton fabric as well. I'll show examples of three different products: StazOn ink pad, Versa Magic ink pad, and Micron pigma pen. You can use regular rubber stamps with the ink pads.

You will also need an iron to heat set the ink.

Here's a better look at the three marking products I used:


Using the StazOn ink, I stamped some small images on the tape. I made this little swatch scrap just for demonstration.

Then I did the same with the VersaMagic ink.

Here's the Micron pigma pen.

On the bottom tape I did a combo of stamp and writing. Once you're done stamping or writing on the tape or fabric all you have to do is heat set it using your iron. I have no idea if there's an optimum time to iron in order to set the ink but I just press for about 10-15 seconds.

So, here's what everything looks like after being stamped, written and ironed.

And here's what it looks like after going through the washer and dryer. I washed with detergent in warm water and tumbled dry on low (just because that's what I always do) but you can dry on high heat as well.

I use these to add a personal touch to my handmade items like the snack sack and patchwork pouch above. I also sew them into the back of pajama pants so I know which is the back and which is the front. You could even make a quilt label!

Be creative and have fun making your own custom twill tape tags!

5 comments:

  1. great to see the "after" when washed/dried. helped a lot, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, I'll give this a go tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered my own logo and I cannot wait to make my own tags to personalize my sewing projects. Great idea and tutorial! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!