Thursday, May 17, 2012

Trajectory: Piecing the Quilt Top

Did you decide on a layout for your quilt? I did!

I went ahead with the original design layout but I was more thoughtful with how I laid out the background pieces, which you will see. When I tried to lay it out randomly, the dark gray really didn't play nicely with the others - too much contrast, I think. But I really do like how it all turned out!

Let's get piecing...

With your blocks all laid out, divide your quilt top into quadrants (4 x 4 squares of blocks).

All seams are 1/4".

Piece a row and press seams open. 


One you have four rows done, attach the rows to each other matching the intersecting seams:

Press seams open. You'll end up with a lovely big block like this:

Is it just me or does anyone else get a little giddy when their seams line up nicely?


Okay, so one quadrant down, three more to go.


Once you have all your quadrants done, it should look like this:

I'd apologize for the weird light in my pictures, but that's the sun and we just don't apologize for sun here in Portland!

Sew those remaining three seams, press seams open and you have a completed quilt top!


Up next: Backing and basting.

5 comments:

  1. A simple pattern in stunning color combo!
    Thanks for the tutorial: I'm sure to make one in greens or blues (or both?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your original a couple of months back and pinned it to one of my boards thinking I would figure out how you did it. Today I revisited that picture, came here and was so excited that you now have a tutorial! ! ! I can't wait to make this quilt. Thanks a bunch for the great directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I’m several years behind in discovering this lovely quilt. So glad to discover your tutorial. And LOVE that it’s paper pieced. ( although a wonky one would be great too!) but first this one. 💕

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!