Wednesday, June 13, 2012

April *ahem* Cocorico block

Finally made my house block for Charise in the Cocorico bee over on Flickr. Yes, I know it's June. Call me a slacker, or a perfectionist, or obsessive. I promise it won't hurt my feelings.

Actually, I had about five different designs drawn up but nothing that I wanted to commit to fabric.

And then I designed a block I really loved, started sewing, and trashed the whole thing because it. just. didn't .work.

Ugh.

Finally, I decided that less is more, radically simplified the design and came up with this.


The original (crazy, overly ambitious) design had a pieced house inside the key. I mean, really? Who do I think I am? Besides, this little polka dot number is way cuter than anything I could dream up.


And the original (again, crazy, overly ambitious) house was a fancy schmancy Victorian with turrets and who knows what else. As it turns out, a few beautiful fabrics and a simple, clean design made for a much more visually appealing block (that didn't involve cussing or crying - bonus!).


I think that this process, as difficult as it was, actually taught me quite a lot. I will definitely aim to simplify my block designs and try to keep things cleaner and less muddled with "extras." There are so many amazing fabrics out there that can do a lot more than my piecing skills ever could. But I will definitely keep playing and learning! And I really hope that Charise likes her block!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my God - are you kidding me - like it - I LOVE it. Thank you so much Megan - it is so wonderful!!!!!!!
    xo
    Charise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Megan and worth all the time and process. I agree simplification is the key- sorry about the pun

    ReplyDelete
  3. this block is absolutely stunning, Megan. the design was definitely worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out so cute! The way you fussy cut nice designs on fabric is so inspiring! The house on the key? Too perfect!
    I too am learning to go simpler!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!