Friday, October 1, 2010

Fabric Fast

Oh man, this isn't even all of it.



No diet for me. I need to fast.

I actually began my fabric fast a little while back (after an entire afternoon of fabric shopping in anticipation of the withdrawal). But I didn't want to say anything out loud in case I couldn't quite bring myself to actually do it.

So far, so good.

No one is enforcing this fast but me and I've given myself some guidelines:

*I'm going to try to make it to the end of the year! That would be over three months of no fabric purchases. (I'm a little faint as I write this.)

*I CAN acquire new (or new to me) fabric as long as I don't spend any money on it. Swaps are totally acceptable as are gifts. Note that this time period encompasses Christmas so if Santa wants to drop a bundle of Kate Spain's Fandango or some fabulous Japanese prints down my chimney, that's fine with me.

* I am permitting myself to purchase staples like interfacing and thread (not fabric) on an as-NEEDED basis. That is, no "stocking up" or impulse purchases. I can only buy it if I need it for a project I am actually working on, right now.

I think that's about it. I feel a little bit like I'm crazy but I'm also kind of excited! I want to push myself to be more creative with what I have. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the collecting aspect of fabric buying and it's wonderful to walk into my sewing space and see a pretty stack of beautiful, fun fabric just sitting there waiting for me. But I really want to get in there and USE what I have, not just stare at the pretty folded stacks. I want to spend more time focused on the act of creating rather than acquiring.

Anyone care to join me? C'mon, I dare ya!


5 comments:

  1. Every week I tell myself, this is it. No more. And then something pops up I just can't live with out. As I write this Im thinking I can do it. But then at the very same moment Im thinking I need a few solids for things that I need to work on...see I suck at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Megan! I totally know how you feel. I have given similar guidelines to myself for the same reasons many times in the past. (don't ask me if it worked or not.) but remember fabric is not like food that will go bad after a certain period of time. We could definitely use our fabric we have right now for future projects, maybe 50 years from now! No I'm not trying to discourage you but I think having fabric stock up isn't bad at all :) your stashes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megs, I've been with you since that binge a few weeks ago! I don't know how long I'll last, probably not as long as you, but I'm trying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give you major props. I can't lie there is no way I could do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might find that you have a lot of projects that you're working on RIGHT NOW to justify some purchases. lol :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!