Friday, April 1, 2011

Castle Peeps Quilt

Someone's checking out his new quilt!


I've been hanging on to my Castle Peeps fabric for awhile now. I only got fat quarter sets in the blue and green colorways because I knew I wanted to make a quilt for Owen and the red just didn't seem a good fit for him. I supplemented the Peeps with some Kona solids from my local quilt shop.


There are 660 squares that make up the twin size quilt top. Because I wanted a truly random placement I didn't do any strip piecing. That's a lot of squares to sew up! The quilting is a simple straight line on the diagonal. And even though it's hard to see in these pictures, I love the binding, which is a deep eggplant purple Kona. It matches some of the Peeps boots!


Here's the back, just some Moda yardage picked up cheap at the Fabric Depot outdoor sale last summer. If you look closely, you can see that the row of castles on the back looks upside down in this photo. That's so it can be turned down when the quilt is on the bed and be right side up, like you can see here.


And this is what makes it all worthwhile!



11 comments:

  1. Love it so much! did you tell limit was an early birthday gift? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love this quilt, the fold over castles are just about the coolest thing ever, and I loves the colors you used with the castle peeps. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful!!! My son keeps asking when I am making his quilt and I can't wait to see that smile on his face. Is your site different or am I crazy?It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky boy! Love this quilt! Such a great idea to include the kona squares - great contrast! One of these days, I want to make a quilt like this for a boy I babysit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super sweet quilt - the color choices are great!! Added bonus that your son looks so happy with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this looks amazing. I love piecing like that too, totally random, but I haven't tackled that in this size yet. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the top strip detail and that last picture is perfection! I feel such a connection to this quilt after seeing it develop before my eyes... You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love the colours and I love the fold over castles bit. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your quilt. :o)
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. so perfect--his smile tells it all!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!