Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy Quilts

I have some dear friends who were recently in need of quilts. The first was made for a friend going through a divorce after almost twenty years of marriage. The second for a friend who just had major surgery (and is doing swimmingly now!).

After agonizing over color palettes and fabric choices, I finally decided that I didn't care if the quilts matched their homes, these ladies needed happy quilts!


Bright and cheerful colors were pulled off my shelves and put into action. Both quilts were made using roughly the same pattern of patchwork squares-in-squares and all fabric except the backings were from my stash. I cannot tell you how good it feels to be using fabric instead of just accumulating it!


This is the quilt I made for my friend who had surgery. Even though we live across the country from each other, she's like a sister to me and we share years of memories. Each fabric in her quilt was chosen especially for her. We used to work together in Central California, where there are lots and lots of strawberry fields. So, naturally, I had to include some texty strawberry fabric.


One of her favorite colors is red and this is my all-time favorite red print from Alexander Henry's Farmdale collection.


We both used to work as stage managers and have been known to be quite passionate about office supplies, especially ones we used frequently in our work. This yellow print reminds me of those page reinforcement stickers that we used to need for our prompt books.


And the backing is another Alexander Henry print. The snails are cute as can be and a gentle reminder to slow down and enjoy all that life has to offer.

The quilting is just an all-over stippling and I must say, it was really nice to do some free-motion work after all of the straight lines I've been using lately.

I'm also in the midst of a quilt for *gasp* myself! It's provided some challenges but I can't wait to share it here. Hopefully, it will be ready for some snapshots in the next week or so.

Thank you so much for your good thoughts and words of encouragement regarding my anxiety disorder. I really appreciate the notes and comments left here and sent to me privately. Progress is slow but steady and I'm just trying to accept each day as it comes, whether good or bad. If nothing else, this experience has taught me compassion. Everyone struggles with something - and that something may be obvious or it may not. The important thing is to be there for each other. And I thank you for being here for me. xoxox


3 comments:

  1. Your quilts are lovely, your friends are very lucky :-) I have recently been reminded who I can count on and who I can't, I'm very thankful for the wonderful people in my life xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, Megan. i'm so sorry that you've been struggling and i'm so happy that things are getting better. i've been in my own little anxious world for a number of months and i finally feel like i'm getting a break from the panic. i can't imagine what your experience has been like over the past few months. i hope you can find some peace in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NIce and good Quilts, can you give me one :p

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!